64 bit CF801 installer on Mac OS X fails
richardELeach
2008-11-05 18:13:34 UTC
Hi-

When installing the 64bit CF801 onto my Mac OSX 10.5.5 the installer stops
right away saying "The installer will only run on a 64 bit Mac-Intel... 32 bit
is not supported. Make sure 64 bit JDK is the default JVM."

I have clearly set my machine's JVM to use 64 bit as its primary JVM, but even
after a restart the installer refuses to acknowledge that my machine is running
as 64 bit. After Googling this it looks like it could be a Java issue but I
think that Adobe is on the hook to help out here as I'm building and
evangelizing solutions for this product, and this version.

Does anyone have a workaround to get CF801 64 bit installed onto a well
equipped Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.5?

After some other forum postings it looks like I may need to roll back my JVM
to an older version, does anyone know if that can be done? What risks are
associated with doing that?

Thanks in advance,

Rich
Brian Klaas
 Rich
richardELeach
2008-11-07 14:04:40 UTC
I opened a case with Adobe about this issue and received word today from their
engineering team that they can reproduce the issue, so it sounds like they'll
work on some sort of a fix or patch.

FWIW here is what looks to be the error code from the coldfusion_err log, if
anyone else can verify that they have the same or similar that would be helpful.

***start***
System's temporary directory =
/private/var/folders/32/3274+vX0GLijmxZCpaVp0k+++TI/Cleanup At Startup/
Installer: no 'sea_loc' in working dir, couldn't define $EXTRACTOR_EXECUTABLE$

SHUTDOWN REQUESTED
(X) commiting registry
(X) shutting down service manager
(X) cleaning up temporary directories
Exiting with exit code: 1000

*** end***
KoiFishGuru
2008-11-07 21:38:31 UTC
any word from adobe on correcting this issue, I have a developer wanting to learn cfml and is having issues on her mac? help Adobe!
richardELeach
2008-11-07 21:57:10 UTC
... although I have not tried it, there is - what appears to be - a 32 bit Mac
version of CF801 available for download.... I don't know if it suffers the same
troubles as the 64 bit version either. I'm holding out for the 64 bit CF since
that's one of the main reasons I bought this hardware. Adobe says they're
working on it, the last update I got from them was that they were able to
duplicate the issue and were escalating it. Actually, the error message from
the Java installer seems to be fairly telling, I'm hoping they'll have a fix
quickly.

Rich
KoiFishGuru
2008-11-07 22:17:34 UTC
i would rather stay in 64bit mode, plus if you switch to 32 you have to mess
around with the pre-installed 64bit apache, i wonder if adobe is working on a
fix for this as this is a big problem for osx users and developers
richardELeach
2008-11-10 15:32:08 UTC
FINALLY!
I got an email from an Adobe engineer this morning (literally - timestamped
1:55AM, remember they're in India, and the only reason I bring that up is
because it impacts the ability to communicate, when I finally read the email
they're already asleep and we have to wait an entire day for a response....)
with the following instructions:

On Nov 10, 2008, at 1:55 AM, Naveen wrote:

Hi Rich,

To resolve this issue follow the steps given below: -

1. Goto
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.Framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Commands

2. All the files in this directory are symlinks to ../Home/bin

3. Remove the symlinks (sudo rm ?rf *)

4. Copy all the files from ../Home/bin using commad ?sudo cp ../Home/bin/* .?
ignore any errors and make sure java executable is copied.

5. Start the installer. Once the installation is complete, the links can be
reinstated so that any future updates are not missed. (in the
CurrentJDK/Commands directory, remove existing file and run sudo ln ?s
../Home/bin/* .)

Please let me know if the information above helps in resolving the issue.

Regards,
Naveen

My respsonse to Naveen:

Hi Naveen-

Thank you for your instructions. It took a few tries but I finally got the
installer to run and ColdFusion is finally installed! The UNIX commands are
actually rather tricky, especially reading them from the email as spaces
definitely play a part in the success or failure of their function.

One question: in step 5 your instructions state to reinstate the links so that
future updates are not missed (in the CurrentJDK/Commands directory, remove
existing file and run sudo In -s ../Home/bin/* .) Which file are you referring
to when you say "remove existing file"? This is the only step I have not yet
completed.

Thanks again,

Rich

Now you have to definitely pay attention to the commands that he instructs you
to run. First of all, if you aren't aware, you have to be in the Terminal
(Applications/Utilities/Terminal). That is where you actually type all of his
directed commands. You may actually try to copy and paste where ever possible,
since the space characters definitely affect the functionality of the commands.
(I have worked with Unix but some people may not have). I made sure to turn on
Web Sharing (System Preferences/Sharing/Web Sharing checked) and then proceeded
to install the multiserver configuration since I have multiple clients and will
hopefully create an instance for each client and not have to worry about
framework files (Model Glue, Fusebox, Mach-II xml file collisions, etc.) plus
it will make my deployment a whole lot easier as I've re-discovered ".CAR"
files (helps in making backups too). Using CF in this manner, on this
platform, is new to me, so it's "baptism by fire" but I'm equally as excited
as I am relieved to have this installation behind me. You'll notice in my reply
to Naveen (the CF engineer) that I'm waiting on his reply to instruct me on how
to clean up that last step; as soon as I hear from him I will post.

HTH,

Rich

PS ... and in all fairness to Adobe I suppose, ultimately, the turn around
time to fix this issue was actually pretty good. My clients have high
expectations from me since I favor and "evangelicize" ColdFusion, so my
expectations for the product are equally as high. Besides, it's a pretty
healthy check to have to write if you want to buy a license!
KoiFishGuru
2008-11-10 15:52:31 UTC
this is great news, I am going to try it today with my team mate. did they reply to your last question?
richardELeach
2008-11-11 14:42:40 UTC
... still waiting on a reply to my last question from Adobe on exactly "which file..." to remove....

Will post as soon as I hear!

Rich
richardELeach
2008-11-12 19:41:01 UTC
I believe this is everything, in order, that you need in order to be able to
install and configure 64 bit ColdFusion 801 on Mac OS X 10.5.5. Be careful of
spaces, quotes and how you type all of these commands into the Terminal window
(Applications>Utilities>Terminal).

1. Goto
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.Framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Commands

2. All the files in this directory are symlinks to ../Home/bin

3. Remove the symlinks (sudo rm ?rf *)

4. Copy all the files from ../Home/bin using commad ?sudo cp ../Home/bin/* .?
ignore any errors and make sure java executable is copied.

5. Start the installer. Once the installation is complete, the links can be
reinstated so that any future updates are not missed. (in the
CurrentJDK/Commands directory, remove existing file and run sudo ln ?s
../Home/bin/* .)

6. Goto
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.Framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Commands and
run ?sudo rm ?rf ? to remove everything from this directory. Then with in the
same directory run ?sudo ln ?s ../Home/bin/* .? This will recreate symlinks so
updates are not missed.
cah190
2009-04-01 18:44:41 UTC
After a little experimentation I have concluded that the installer is confused
by java being a symlink where it expects the actual binary. As of Java for Mac
OS X 10.5 Update 2, performing step 3 of the Adobe-supplied procedure will
delete the javaws binary, which may be needed by some Java applications. My
solution is to only replace the java symlink with the actual java binary before
installing, then restore the symlink afterwards:

# run these commands in a Terminal prior to installing ColdFusion 8.0.1 64-bit:
cd /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Commands/
sudo mv java java.orig
sudo cp ../Home/bin/java .

# run these commands in the same Terminal after completing the installation:
sudo rm java
sudo mv java.orig java

Hopefully this helps anyone trying to do a fresh install of the 64-bit CF
8.0.1 on an up-to-date Mac OS X 10.5 system.

KoiFishGuru
2008-11-13 19:45:56 UTC
on my mac I had to make the following adjustments

in terminal run "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles yes"

this will show all hidden files

1. Goto
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.Framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Commands

--navigated to this directory path via the finder gui
--the CurrentJDK was a shortcut to the latest Commands directory (mine linked
into 1.5.0)

2. All the files in this directory are symlinks to ../Home/bin

--I used the finder gui to copy all of the files in this folder to a separate
archive directory prior to step 3, my java exe was also in this directory so I
made sure to copy it prior to deleting everything

3. Remove the symlinks (sudo rm ?rf *)

--used the gui to delete all files

4. Copy all the files from ../Home/bin using commad ?sudo cp ../Home/bin/* .?
ignore any errors and make sure java executable is copied.

--I copied all of the files manually through the finder gui, removed the
javaws shortcut, and also copied the actual javaws unix exe i previously
copied to a backup folder above
--this should result in the commands directory having all of the same files as
the home/bin directory with the exception of the javaws shortcut

5. Start the installer. Once the installation is complete, the links can be
reinstated so that any future updates are not missed. (in the
CurrentJDK/Commands directory, remove existing file and run sudo ln ?s
../Home/bin/* .)

--completed the install

6. Goto
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.Framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Commands and
run ?sudo rm ?rf ? to remove everything from this directory. Then with in the
same directory run ?sudo ln ?s ../Home/bin/* .? This will recreate symlinks so
updates are not missed.

--removed all of the files within the commands directory and replaced it with
the files I copied to a backup folder @ step 2
--deleted the backup directory

in terminal run "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles no"

this will hide all hidden files

done

at the end of the day, these steps seem a little crazy, is adobe working on a
fix for this issue overall?
Carl_Desmond
2009-03-01 18:57:44 UTC
Very helpful! Thank you all for taking the time...