Coldfusion 8 Web Hosting
fwflcommish
2009-03-27 20:23:45 UTC
One site is for my Fantasy Football League. I will storage and retrieve data
from MySQL. Not much user interaction, meaning no forms to fill out by end
users.

The other will be very similar to the FFL Site, except I will have forms to
insert data into MySQL.

I've looked at various plan and I'm trying to determine which would be the
best. I think it's down to CrystalTech, HostMySite, Intermedia and GoDaddy (Not
Sure GoDaddy has Coldfusion 8).

I just wanted to see what you all thought before I proceed.
Peggie Brown
2009-03-28 01:37:53 UTC
I would knock GoDaddy off the list just for everything
I've heard others say. I understand others really like
CrystalTech and HostMySite. I recommend http://www.gearhost.com

"
Fetch
2009-03-30 04:20:55 UTC
Uhm, yeah, I don't feel bad saying that Peggy is on target here - knock GoDaddy off your list. As to the rest of her advice, I won't comment as I'm obviously biased.
craigkaminsky
2009-03-30 14:15:39 UTC
Having a client who tried GoDaddy before, I would like to recommend you not use
them. The client had a poor experience and I've read countless other negative
'reviews' of GoDaddy.

Since 2001, I've used CrystalTech, HostMySite and GearHost. I did not have a
good experience with CrystalTech but used HostMySite for years and recently had
a client who picked GearHost. In both cases (HMS and GearHost), I've had
consistently good experiences with support and other company personnel.

IMO, you won't go wrong with either HMS or GearHost.
Ian Skinner
2009-03-30 14:24:11 UTC
Post by craigkaminsky
Having a client who tried GoDaddy before, I would like to recommend you not use
them. The client had a poor experience and I've read countless other negative
'reviews' of GoDaddy.
In some sense of fairness, I have been happy with GoDaddy for my very
small, personal vanity site. I have been hosting my site there for
years, but then I have very little expectations for this site.

For the business site I manage, we have been happy with cfDynamics
[http://www.cfdynamics.com/] but they are a bit pricier then many.
EnergyFed
2009-03-30 14:34:07 UTC
For cheap, GoDaddy is not bad. I am using them for 2 client sites, and have
never had any real issues. I don't like the fact that they are still on CF 7,
but what are you going to do? There are a few tags that have been disabled,
such as <cfobject> and functions like createObject. And there is no way to
access java either. They do not have the greatest support when it comes to CF,
but they do for general hosting issues.

So if you are just building a basic not-to-fancy site, and do not want to pay
a lot - GoDaddy is really not a bad choice.
welkers
2009-04-01 18:01:41 UTC
I've used Host My Site for years to host 6 or more web sites. Very rarely have
any issues with them. They used to more focused on CF hosting and it was easy
to get a tech support who knew a lot about CF. Now its pretty much submit a
trouble ticket and look into kind of thing like the other big companies. Guess
that's the price of growth. Good for them...but takes a little more time now
for resolution.
dNagel
2009-05-07 20:33:49 UTC
Post by welkers
I've used Host My Site for years to host 6 or more web sites. Very rarely have
any issues with them. They used to more focused on CF hosting and it was easy
to get a tech support who knew a lot about CF. Now its pretty much submit a
trouble ticket and look into kind of thing like the other big companies. Guess
that's the price of growth. Good for them...but takes a little more time now
for resolution.
HMS is still very much a CF centric hosting site... They offer
dedicated servers and when you get into that echelon of their support
you'll quickly see that the CF experts are still available.

They are IMO, simply the best CF host out there.

D.

skelooth
2009-04-01 20:11:27 UTC
Godaddy is HORRIBLE for webhosting, their email services are just as bad.
Normally I'd say you get what you pay for but unfortunately there are hosts of
the same cost that are infinitely better. Sorry, I have no input over a
coldfusion host. Your best option is always to roll your own.
bje98f
2009-04-02 04:29:53 UTC
i like to register my domains at godaddy because it is easy to forward them and set the @ name for your sites but in terms of hosting they are awful.
StearmanDriver
2009-04-02 18:20:57 UTC
We've been real happy with GoWest Hosting (www.gowesthosting.com).
cfwild
2009-04-03 01:53:57 UTC
I've used Media3.net for hosting many of my sites. I've also been using
www.dailyrazor.com on a couple of sites, they're pretty inexpensive and have
decent tech support. If this isn't a big site, I'd try them out.

cfwild
cfwild
2009-04-03 01:56:14 UTC
Just reread your original post. It looks like you're running two sites? The
entry level dailyrazor will host 6 domain names under their starter package.
You also get 4 dbs MySQL dbs included.

cfwild